GET READY FOR SUMMER CAMP
Post date: May 05, 2016 2:58:33 PM
Camp week, 7/3-7/10, will be here before we know it. We are looking forward to a great time at Horseshoe. Please read the next steps for preparation for summer camp:
Parents Take Note
If you still need to pay your camp dues, please contact Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. Next steps are:
1. Download and print the Camp Horseshoe Program Guide (below). It has detailed information about Summer Camp.
2. Complete and submit your son's medical forms to Susan. See below for details.
3. Have your son decide which merit badges he would like to work on during summer camp and let Mr. Shreve know during a troop meeting. See merit badge schedule below.
4. Purchase a footlocker and start assembling the items your scout will need during camp week. See below for details.
5. Consider coming down to camp for the day or overnight. See below and watch for a link to sign up - coming soon.
Required Medical Forms
Every scout who attends Summer Camp must have a Boy Scout medical form on file with the Council. Parts A, B and C of the health form are required, and Part C must be signed by your scout’s doctor. This form can be found below. Also needed is a copy of the front and back of your medical insurance card. These forms are good for one year, so if your scout has a form dated between July 1, 2015 and July 1, 2016, then it will be valid for this year's summer camp (unless there has been a change in health). These forms are due to Susan by June 17. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you need a few extra days to submit your medical forms.
Footlocker & Packing List
Scouts should bring a footlocker packed with items needed for Summer Camp. A plastic footlocker is recommended, for durability and ease of cleaning. See footlockers for sale at Walmart and Home Depot. See sample packing list below.
Adult Campers Welcome
Moms, Dads and Grandparents are not only welcome to join in the camping fun, but are needed in order to fulfill the two-deep leadership requirement. This means that we must have four adults in case any leaders need to leave camp for any reason. Adults don’t need to stay for the full week – although we recommend a minimum of 2 or 3 nights in order to really benefit from the unique Horseshoe camping experience. There is no camp charge to adults (free vacation!) and Wi-Fi is available at Camp Headquarters. If you are not needed by the scoutmaster, you can pop in at headquarters to check email and make quick phone calls if necessary. An email will be sent soon as adult sign-ups will be done online.
The Camp is organized and run by the staff at Horseshoe. As returning scouts know, summer camp at Horseshoe is a great opportunity to:
* Earn merit badges
* Participate in fun activities
* Forge bonds with fellow scouts
While there are several Boy Scout troops in residence during the week, each troop has its own designated campsite and Troop 181 will be staying again in our favorite campsite – Roberts!
Camp Horseshoe is such a special experience for both scouts and their parents. Please contact Susan at email@example.com if you have any questions.